Common Names: Flower Mushroom, Black Mushroom, Shitake
Chinese Name: 冬菇, 香菇 (dōnggū, xiānggū)
What are dried mushrooms?
- Generally from China, they are dehydrated fresh mushrooms used in Chinese cooking.
- Dried mushrooms offer an aromatic flavor and texture to soups and dishes.
- They absorb other ingredients easily as well as lend extra flavor to dishes.
Are there any health benefits?
- Research has shown that they can reduce high cholesterol.
Which type is the best for me?
- It is entirely your preference. Generally, if you are adding a whole mushroom to a dish, you may want to select smaller ones as they will be easier to eat.
- Ones with thicker caps such as the “flower mushrooms” will be meatier, these are great for slicing.
- Japanese variety called “shitake” mushrooms offer great flavor.
How do I prepare it?
- Wash and soak it in water for at least half an hour.
- The soaking liquid will have mushroom aroma as well, retain and use for added flavor.
- Store in a cool dry place.
* Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone currently under medication should consult their physician before taking any health supplements.