Common Names: Flower Mushroom, Black Mushroom, Shitake
Chinese Name: 冬菇, 香菇 (dōnggū, xiānggū)
What are dried mushrooms?
- Generally from China, they are dehydrated fresh mushrooms used in Chinese cooking.
- Dried mushrooms offer an aromatic flavor and texture to soups and dishes.
- They absorb other ingredients easily as well as lend extra flavor to dishes.
Are there any health benefits?
- Research has shown that they can reduce high cholesterol.
Which type is the best for me?
- It is entirely your preference. Generally, if you are adding a whole mushroom to a dish, you may want to select smaller ones as they will be easier to eat.
- Ones with thicker caps such as the “flower mushrooms” will be meatier, these are great for slicing.
- Japanese variety called “shitake” mushrooms offer great flavor.
How do I prepare it?
- Wash and soak it in water for at least half an hour.
- The soaking liquid will have mushroom aroma as well, retain and use for added flavor.
- Store in a cool dry place.
* Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.