A perfect "go-to" gift suitable for relatives on the traditional side and individuals who are health conscious.
Scientific name: Panax quinquefolius
Common name: American Ginseng
Common Chinese name: 花旗参 (huāqíshēn/fa1kei4sum1)
Increases energy and concentration, has anti-aging effects. Root considered demulcent, tonic. Research suggests it may increase mental efficiency and physical performance and aid in adapting to high or low temperatures and stress. Ginseng's effect is called "adaptogenic": tending to return the body to normal while increasing resistance to adverse influences on the body. American ginseng differs from Korean and Chinese panax ginseng in its cooling properties.
How do I consume it?
- Traditionally, ginseng root is double boiled together with chicken or old hen to make a soup.
- Alternatively, many choose to brew ginseng tea. It an excellent substitute for coffee to produce natural energy and improve concentration.
- There are many other ways to consume ginseng such as in capsules, powder, energy drinks, and candy.
How do I select it?
We have a wide range of loose and packaged ginseng roots. Our roots are sent directly to our store from Wisconsin producers who are members of the Ginseng & Herb Co-Op (GHC) where "Every ounce of ginseng sold through the GHC is tested to assure quality and purity."
- Most American ginseng roots have grown 3 years before harvesting, you can tell the age by counting the leaf scars.
- The more leaf scars, the older root and the more potent the ginseng will be.
- Ginseng quality may vary between growers, which is reflected in the price.
- Whether purchasing for yourself or as a gift, our staff can guide you through to make an appropriate choice.